A mücver is a Turkish zucchini fritter combining salty cheese, sweet onions and fragrant herbs. With a soft middle and crispier edges, it’s so delicious that you’ll always end up coming back for more! A phenomenal starter (or dinner).
- 1kg zucchinis (about 4 medium zucchinis)
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 spring onions, white parts only
- 1 garlic clove
- half a bunch of dill, leaves only
- half a bunch of parsley, leaves only
- 3 eggs
- 100g beyaz peynir, or you can use feta (⅔ cup)
- 1/2 tsp dried mint
- 1/3 tsp pul biber, or you can use chilli flakes
- 70g flour (½ cup)
- frying oil
- Peel the zucchinis and using the largest shredding holes of a box grater, grate the zucchinis. Place the zucchinis in a colander over the sink, sprinkle the salt and mix well. Leave the grated zucchinis to drain for 1h, stirring from time to time.
- Chop the spring onions, garlic clove, dill and parsley finely. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and gently whisk them. Add the chopped ingredients, crumbled cheese and spices to the mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Empty the grated zucchinis onto a clean tea towel, gather the 4 corners of the towel to create a bag and squeeze well to remove excess moisture. Then tip the grated zucchinis into the bowl. Add the flour and mix well.
- Cover the surfaces of a non-stick frying pan with 1cm (½ inch) of oil and place over medium-high heat. Wait for the oil to reach 160°C (338°F), or until it’s hot enough to brown a cube of bread in 1min.
- Add 1 heaped tbsp of mixture to the pan and spread slightly with the back of the spoon. Repeat to make 3 more mücver (don’t cook more than 4 mücver at a time). Cook for 2 to 3 min on each side until deep golden brown and firm.
- Scoop out with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Repeat the process until you run out of mücver mixture.
You can eat them straight-away or wait until they cool down to room temperature. I prefer them fridge-cold, to each their own.
You can keep mücver for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Serving Size: 1 mücver
- Calories: 188
- Fat: 16g
Keywords: zuchinni fritters, vegetarian summer recipes, patties