There’s nothing like shredded pork tacos! The meat is so tender and juicy that it almost falls apart and it’s covered in the most irresistible finger-licking spicy and tomatoey sauce. Seriously, I dare you not to look for more tortillas to mop up the juices left on your plate!
For the shredded pork:
- 40g sesame seeds (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp hot pepper paste, I used harissa
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 green chili, deseeded
- 1 onion, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 480g fresh or canned tomatoes (17oz)
- 1kg deboned pork butt (2 ⅕ pounds), also called Boston butt or Boston shoulder
- 500ml chicken stock (2 cups)
- 120ml black coffee (½ cup)
For the tacos:
- 6 corn tortillas
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- diced avocado
- grated cheese
- Toast the sesame seeds over medium heat in a dry skillet until they brown, about 3 min. Tip into a food processer along with the hot pepper paste and half of the oil and whizz until you have a smooth paste.
- Roughly chop the chili, onion, garlic cloves and tomatoes and tip into the food processor. Whizz until you have a smooth sauce and the paste is well incorporated. You could also use an immersion blender.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Heat the rest of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the pork and brown the meat all over, about 2 to 4 min per side.
- Pour the sauce over the pork and pour the stock and coffee around it. Mix with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to a boil, then put the lid on the Dutch oven and cook in the oven for 3h or until the meat is really tender. If it isn’t easy to pull the meat apart with two forks, continue cooking in 30-min slots until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove the pork from the Dutch oven and shred it into small pieces using two forks.
- In the meantime put the Dutch oven back over medium-high heat and bring the sauce to a boil. Let it cook until it has thickened nicely. Be careful to keep an eye on it!
- Take off the heat and tip the shredded pork into the Dutch oven. Mix with a wooden spoon and assemble your tacos according to your preferences.
Shredded pork will keep placed in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 1064
Keywords: shredded pork, pork butt recipe, slow roasted pork