Fluffy sauteed potatoes with a crispy exterior cooked in duck fat are real morsels of savory goodness. Add to that the sweetness of shallots, the flavors of parsley and garlic and you’ll understand why this side dish is so popular in France!
- 1 kg all-purpose potatoes (35 oz), such as yukon gold
- 4 tbsp duck or goose fat (or use vegetable oil)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 shallots, peeled
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- half a bunch of parsley, leaves only
- Prepare the potatoes. Peel the potatoes and wash them under running water. Dice the potatoes into 1,5cm (½ in) cubes and put them in a large mixing bowl. Cover with cold water and place the bowl in the fridge while you get on with the rest. Soaking helps to remove excess starch and to get crispy potatoes that will not stick together.
- Cook the shallots & garlic. Peel the garlic cloves, mince and set aside. Peel the shallots and finely dice them. Place a large heavy-based non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat and add 1 tbsp of the fat. When melted and hot, add the diced shallots and cook for 7 min, stirring often. Add the minced garlic and continue cooking for 2 min. Season, stir and remove from the heat. Using a wooden spatula transfer the shallots and garlic to a small plate and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes. Drain the potatoes in a colander and shake well. Lay the potatoes on paper towels and cover them with more paper towels to dry them off completely (or use a dishtowel). Place the pan over medium heat and add the rest of the fat. When melted and hot, add the potatoes. Mix until well coated with fat and cover the pan with a lid. Cook the potatoes for 45 min, stirring often with a wooden spatula.
- Finish up. In the meantime, finely chop the parsley leaves and set aside. After 45 min have passed, uncover the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 min more or until the water has completely evaporated and the cubed potatoes are golden brown. Add the shallots, garlic and parsley at the end of the cooking time. Stir until well combined and warmed through, then serve straight away!
Any leftover sauteed potatoes will keep stored in an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. Re-heat them gently in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 669
- Fat: 26.1g
Keywords: parsley potatoes, pan roasted potatoes, yukon gold recipes, french side dish