Check out this indulgent crusty Turkish toast stuffed with juicy tomato slices, 2 types of Turkish cheeses, sweet red pepper paste and thyme. This grilled cheese sandwich hits the spot every time and will 100% warm you up during the colder months!
- 4 slices of sourdough bread (or white bread to be more traditional)
- 1 big tomato
- 150g taze kaşar cheese (1 ¾ cup), or you can use provolone dolce
- 50g eski kaşar cheese (⅔ cup), or you can use a smaller amount of pecorino romano
- 3 tsp tatlı biber salçası (sweet red pepper paste), or you can use tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 30g butter (2 tbsp)
- Thinly slice the tomato and cheese. You could also grate the cheese with a box grater if you want it to melt faster. Spread the salça (or tomato paste) on one side of each slice of bread.
- Top two of the bread slices with an equal amount of tomato and cheese slices. Sprinkle with dried thyme. Top the toasts with the other slices of bread (the side with the paste should be in).
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Place the toasts in the skillet when the butter starts to melt.
- Press down on the toasts with a lid to flatten them and help the cheese melt while the toasts cook. Cook the underside for about 4 to 5 min, until the bread is nicely toasted with a deep golden brown color.
- Flip the toasts over with a large and sturdy spatula and rub them in the remaining melted butter. Squish the toasts with the lid again while they cook. Toast the bread until the second side is just as golden brown as the first and the cheese is completely melted, about 4 to 5 min.
- Transfer to a cutting board, cut in half and serve immediately.
My husband loves fridge-cold leftovers but I reheat mine wrapped in foil in an oven preheated at 180°C (350°F) for 15 min. You could use a toastie maker if you have one.
- Serving Size: 1 toast
- Calories: 802
- Fat: 44.3g
Keywords: grilled cheese sandwich, kasar cheese, turkish cheese, turkish cheese toast